Saturday, February 27, 2010

3) Building a Jig

Getting Jiggy with it...













Unfortunately, although my jig has many nice qualities, ended up being a bit of a bear. But here is what I did and I will try to make comments on what I would change for next time.

Oddly enough I would say my biggest problem was not starting with a straight line. I would suggest starting with a long straight line on the floor board and orient everything around that. I would also suggest using a frame as a template. It can be surprisingly complicated to design your own bike. Although tools are available like bikecad online. Don't ask me how to use it though.












The hardware I use are long carriage bolts (4" or so), nuts, large washers, and pipe clamps. I retrofitted the carriage bolts onto the pipe clamps by cutting out some of the rungs with my dremel and tungsten cutter #9903 1/8". (This thing rocks you NEED one not optional unless you want to build your bike out of sweat.














Things I learned:
1) Keep things straight
2) Orient the bike in the jig using the carriage bolts, not the jig around the bike. (this is particularly important for the rear triangle, which is a pain)
3) Glue and PVC dont work well together. Instead fix the joints using some screws.
4) You might do better tacking together the front triangle using a flat surface and a large piece of paper and an outline of your bike.
5) Mitering properly is hard when things are in your jig
6) It would have been nice if I could have integrated my actual rear wheel into the jig setup, this would allow me to get all the clearance I needed around the rear triangle.













Hit Counter by Digits

No comments: